Together with some friends I built a concrete pier before - but that was around 1978, 25 years ago. Applying my professional experience, I decided to test my skills first before going for the real thing. We have a hole in front of the house where the water connection to the municipal water supply sits. It is covered by two flat stones. The walls of the hole are slowly degrading and the cover stones don't sit very safe anymore. My wife proposed that this is a good test object. So I mixed some concrete and (hopefully) fixed it:
click to enlarge Still it is covered with plastic to avoid drying too quickly. We'll see later whether it worked...

The leftover concrete I put in a 20 cm x 20 cm hole in the garden, just to see what happens.

click to enlarge

Now we'll have to wait and see what happens...
 
On 12 Oct 2003, this is how it looks like - there is my hole with some nice solid concrete, the cover covers greatly...

click to enlarge

And to the right the 20 cm block. It seems to work great, but one needs to cover the concrete when it solidifies so that it doesn't dry out too much.

klick to enlarge
So the test went ok. Now comes the real thing...


Created by dvk, 11 Oct 2003. Last update 13 Oct 2003.
Return to Koschny's Astronomy.