16th 'day':  21 Nov and 27/28 Nov, total 8 hours

Don't forget: If you want a larger version (1024 x 768) of any image, just click on it!

Adding the outer door... I could buy the door frame from Pelana Hout, the company where I got all my wood. The siding was not yet mounted so that I could fix it in a height fitting the rest of the hut. The free area in the side wall was measured to be 1.5 cm broader than the door. Nevertheless, when I put in the door, the free space was too small... I took away about 5 mm of length from the wall siding to make it fit. The door was mounted temporarily using a vice, then I mounted the hinges.
 

click -> enlarge

The temporarily fixed door, the hinges are mounted. The door opens and closes without problems. This was done on Sunday, 21 Nov, then I had to stop again until the following weekend.
 

click -> enlarge

The hut claimed its first victim! On Monday I came home from work and was greeted by an angry Julius: "Papa, you could have told me that there is a door in your hut!". Apparently the kids were playing hide-and-seek in the garden and Julius wanted to hide in the hut and - being used to a large hole where now the door is - tried to run through it...

 

click -> enlarge

The door frame came with a cutout for the lock. I had to drill the holes for the handle and the keyhole myself. It took about one hour of drilling and filing until it fit.

click -> enlarge

The lock in place.
.

click -> enlarge

And this is the finished door.
 

((image to come))

The counterpart to the lock. The metal part came with the lock from the company. It is mounted on stripes of sheet aluminum to be in the right position.
 

 


Prepared by dvk, 05 Dec 2004.
Return to Koschny's Astronomy.